It is a sight which must have been familiar to the parliamentary admiral, the Member of Parliament and the young Cromwellian bride who knew the house in the days of Oliver Cromwell
— Dr Peter Gaunt
Learn more about Lindsey House below...
Built in 1640 by the owner Sir David Cunningham, Lindsey House is the oldest house in Lincoln's House Inn square. It’s often thought that Inigo Jones designed the building as there are many architectural features and characteristics of his that appear, but with a lack of documentary evidence to support the claim, the house's designer still remains a mystery.
It was named Lindsey House after the 4th Earl of Lindsey in the early 18th Century, and was later split into two by Sir Isaac Ware. By the beginning of the 20th Century, the two halves of the house had been reunited to form a single unit again, and it became the offices for Chartered Patent Agents until 2004 when Garden Court Chambers acquired it.
Did you know?
Spencer Perceval, who served as Prime Minister between the years 1809 and 1812 and also the only British Prime Minister to be assassinated in office, owned Lindsey House from 1791 and 1808.
The three-storey house was built of stone and brick, with brick exposed on the exterior. However, the front of the building was stuccoed and painted over at some point although it still retains the original features it had such as the six pilasters of the Ionic order and the pediments above the second storey and attic windows. The interior has completely changed though, and nothing of the original house remains.
Lindsey House has a typical 17th Century townhouse plan with a doorway that leads into a large front hall with a well-staircase. In No.59, a new oak staircase has been built with carved brackets and is much larger in size compared to its counterpart in No.60, which is made of stone.
See images of Lindsey House
How to get there
59-60 Lincoln’s Inn Fields, London, WC2A 3TL
Charing Cross, City Thameslink
59, 68, 91, 168, 188, N91, X68
Lindsey House is now part of Garden Court Chambers and is not open to the public. The central garden in the Court, including the tennis courts and cafe is open for public access though.